What is Lead?
Lead is a highly toxic metal that may cause a range of health problems, especially in young children. When lead is absorbed into the body, it can cause damage to the brain and other vital organs, like the kidneys, nerves and blood.
Why was lead paint used?
Lead was added to paint prior to 1978 to accelerate drying, increase durability, maintain a fresh appearance, and resist moisture that causes corrosion.
Homes built before 1978 may contain lead. The Lead Law protects a child’s right to a lead-safe home. It requires the removal or control of lead paint in houses with children under 6. If houses built before 1978 are being sold or rented, sellers, real estate agents, and owners who rent their homes are required to notify their buyers and tenants of lead risks.
More information and resources for lead pain can be found in the links below.